General Position Summary:
The CHEO Research Institute is searching for a Data Analyst to support work on the CHEO Research Data Warehouse project using the hospital’s Epic Caboodle data warehouse solution. The Data Analyst will work closely with clinical data to support research, quality improvement and performance and will interact closely with end users (such as researchers and physicians) to provide them with data to answer important research questions.
S/he will also be responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various departmental and enterprise-wide application systems such as Epic’s Cogito SlicerDicer tool.
This also includes, but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications, operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools.
Responsible for full life-cycle of large/long-term highly complex projects. Typically manages multiple priorities of varying complexities. Based on expert technical knowledge, skills and experience, develops broad-based solutions involving multifaceted technologies, and business processes.
Conducting technical work in building and maintaining CHEO Research Data Warehouse. Will also interact with various CHEO staff and Scientists, including CHEO Research Institute personnel and CHEO hospital administration. Reports to Lead Data Architect, Health Information Technology Program.
The successful applicant will be trained by Epic on Caboodle, Epic’s data warehousing solution. Once hired, the analyst will attend Epic Cogito data warehouse training in Verona, Wisconsin and will be required to do associated project work and take a certification test. As part of the hiring and evaluation process, applicants for this position will be required to take the Epic assessment test, which assesses the applicant’s likelihood of passing the Epic certifications required for the position.
As a member of the CHEO Research Institute, the successful applicant will work with clinicians and investigators to help answer important child health research questions. The successful candidate is expected to develop a thorough understanding of the tables, data elements and overall structure of the data warehouse.
S/he will assist researchers to navigate the Data Warehouse and prepare scientific research. Working at a University-affiliated, tertiary care hospital research institute, s/he will have the opportunity to work with child health researchers locally at CHEO, and across provincial and in some cases national networks. This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated individual to make an impact and advance health outcomes for children and youth.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that anyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS, REQUIREMENTS GATHERING AND SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTISE
1. Become the subject matter expert on the clinical data housed within the CHEO Caboodle Data warehouse. Support CHEO researchers by fulfilling data requests.
2. Define highly complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
3. Gather highly complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
4. Provide support to end users on self-service reporting tools (Cogito SlicerDicer)
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
6. Develop CHEO Research Data Warehouse using existing Epic Electronic Health Record (EHR) and Caboodle (Epic’s in-house data warehousing solution), with integration of external data sources in addition to Epic clinical data.
7. Write functional/technical specifications from the highly complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
8. Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for highly complex application development tasks.
9. Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
11. Create and document highly complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
12. Test all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
13. Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
14. Participate in upgrade planning and testing
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
15. Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
16. Monitor changes and resolve highly complex problems requiring the highest level of technical expertise by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
17. Provide support by investigating and resolving highly complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
18. Implement additional functionality for both Caboodle and SlicerDicer.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree required in computer science, information technology, database engineering or equivalent. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
Required Experience: 3-5 years of related work experience with computer systems and applications. Direct Epic experience or additional education may substitute for time requirement.
Required Job Qualifications:
o SQL, SSMS
Experience working with Enterprise Clinical Data
Prior experience in management and warehousing of clinical data using SQL
Exceptional communication skills – ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications
Requirements gathering and stakeholder engagement
Experience working with clinical users and/or researchers
Experience providing elbow support to end users
Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
Critical thinking and reasoning skills
Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively
Ability to prioritize conflicting demands
Functional Understanding of data warehousing concepts, ETL Processes
Valid passport, ability to travel to the USA for additional training
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Experience and certified in EPIC Clarity, Caboodle, Cogito, other Epic applications
Bilingual (French and English)
Experience with SSIS, ETL processes
Expertise in SSRS, experience with i2b2, SAP Business Objects, Webi, Tableau, Qlikview.
Familiarity with statistical analysis tools such as R, SPSS, SAS
Experience in building or maintaining a data warehouse (any platform)
Please forward your cover letter, resume and the name of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should the applicant require any accommodations during the application process please notify CHEO RI Human Resources as per the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.