Creating Opportunities Today; Maximizing Independence Tomorrow

OCTC Services to Child Care/Preschool

OCTC offers services for a small area of North Grenville (Burritts Rapids, Kemptville, Oxford Mills, Oxford Station) and Lanark (Almonte, Carleton Place, Clayton, Lanark, MacDonalds Corners, Pakenham)

Please call the OCTC intake to determine if you are living within OCTC’s catchment area. 613 737-0871 or 1 800 565-4839 Ext: 4425. If you live in Lanark and Grenville but outside OCTC’s catchment area please contact Child Development Centre at Hôtel Dieu Hospital in Kingston 613-544-3400 ext. 3175 or 613-544-3310 –

The decision to enroll your child in any child care environment is completely up to you. In the event that you decide that you would like your child to attend a child care environment, there are many options available to you and your child from full time child daycare to part time nursery school

Questions and answers regarding child care/preschool

What are definitions for child care and preschool?

Who can assist me with child care/preschool options, for my child?

OCTC Social Work Services for children with a physical disability or a community case manager can provide you with information and assist you with getting the process started.

What child care/preschool options exist?

There are a variety of licensed and unlicensed programs in Leeds, Lanark and Grenville. Information about the types of programs and services provided are available through an Ottawa agency. You may visit this page:Definitions of child care services. This document provides information on what program will suit your child based on age, length of program etc.

What are the benefits of licensed and unlicensed child care or home child care programs?

Child Care Information lists possible advantages and disadvantages of licensed programs and unlicensed programs.

When should I start thinking about child care/preschool?

For all child care/preschool options, it is advised that you start planning at least a year or before you want your child to start. Occasionally, spaces will be available within a shorter period of time.

How and where do I apply for licensed preschool or child care programs?

For child care/preschool programs, parents need to contact the programs of their choice directly to place their child’s name on the wait list for each program. You may want to plan a visit with your child to your top choices. A list of child care programs is available on the following websites:

In Grenville:

In Lanark County:

If your child has physical disability you can contact OCTC Social Work Services and they can assist you. It is advised that you apply to many programs in order to secure an appropriate spot.

How and where do I apply for a subsidized child care placement?

For further information on subsidized placement, please contact the following agencies:

What are the questions I should ask a child care provider when I plan my visit?

Who should I contact, if my child requires additional support in a child care/preschool setting?

These agencies provide support to the child care program to integrate children who have a developmental disability and/or physical disability.

In Grenville:

In Lanark:

Who should I notify if my child starts a child care/preschool program?

It is important to inform your child’s current therapy team, they can provide support and consultative services to the childcare/preschool program.

What respite options are available in Lanark and Grenville?

OCTC does not run respite programs in Renfrew County. For further information on respite options in your area, please contact the following

How do I obtain an application for an Accessible Parking Permit?

For further information and to apply, please visit the following website: Accessible parking permit

You can also pick up an application at any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office or request an application by mail from:

Service Ontario
License Renewals Unit
P.O. Box 9800
Kingston, ON
K7L 5N8

Transition from Child Care/Preschool to School

In preparation for the next transition, you can get ready by looking ahead. Here are some examples of areas you may want to research, learn about for support and information.

  • Understanding your child's learning abilities and needs:
  • School Placement Needs, Registration for School, Individual Education Plans (IEP), Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC)
  • Transportation
  • Investigate respite options for you and your family
  • Seek assistance to promote disability awareness in various environments (making friends, being different)
  • Camps
  • Sibling needs
  • Supports for my child in a school setting
  • Van and home modifications