Creating Opportunities Today; Maximizing Independence Tomorrow

OCTC Services to Child Care/Preschool

The decision to enroll your child in any child care environment is completely up to you. In the event that you decide that you would like your child to attend a child care environment, there are many options available to you and your child from full time child care to part time nursery school.

Questions and answers regarding child care/preschool

What are definitions for child care and preschool?

Who can assist me with child care/preschool options?

OCTC Social Work Services or your community case management through Valoris can provide you with information and assist you with getting the process started.

Here is Valoris contact information: 613-673-5148, 1-800-675-6168

What child care/preschool options exist?

There are a variety of licensed and unlicensed programs in Ottawa. Information about the types of programs and services provided are available through the Child Care Information service: This document provides information on what program will suit your child based on age, length of program, etc.

What are the benefits of licensed and unlicensed child care or home child care programs?

Child Care Information lists possible advantages and disadvantages of licensed programs and unlicensed programs.

When should I start thinking about child care/preschool?

For all child care/preschool options, it is advised that you start planning at least 6 months to a year before you want your child to start. Occasionally, spaces will be available in shorter amounts of time.

How and where do I apply to for licensed preschool / child care programs?

Parents need to contact the programs of their choice directly, to place their child’s name on the wait list for each program. A list of child care programs is available through this website:

Here is the list of licensed Home Child Care Agency:

It is advised that you apply to many programs in order to secure an appropriate spot. You may want to plan a visit with your child to your top choices.

How and where do I apply for subsidized licensed child care placement?

The Prescott Russell Child Care Services manages the centralized waiting list for subsidized spaces. If you need more information on subsidized spaces and/or if you wish to add your child’s name to the centralized waiting list, contact a case worker at 613-675-4642 / 1 800 667-9825 or visit their website for further information

What are the questions I should ask a child care provider when I plan my visit?

Who should I contact, if my child requires additional support in a preschool / child care setting?

The Prescott Russell Child Care Services manages the Integration Services for Children with Special needs; their mandate is to provide support to nursery schools, day-care centres and home child care licensed agency and to accommodate children with special needs in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell. You may contact this service for Casselman: 613 764-3434 or 1 866-764 3434 and l’Original 613 675-4642 or 1 800 667-9825 or visit this website:

Who should I notify if my child starts a child care program?

You should inform your child current therapy team.

What respite options are available in Prescott-Russell?

OCTC/HGH does not run respite programs in Prescott-Russell. For further information on respite options in your area, please contact the following

How can I obtain an application for an Accessible Parking Permit?

For further information and to apply, please visit the following website: Accessible parking permit

You can also pick up an application at any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office or request an application by mail from:

Service Ontario
License Renewals Unit
P.O. Box 9800
Kingston, ON
K7L 5N8

Transition from Child Care/Preschool to School

In preparation for the next transition, you can get ready by looking ahead. Here are some examples of areas you may want to research, learn about for support and information.

  • Understanding your child's learning abilities and needs:
  • School Placement Needs, Registration for School
  • Individual Education Plans (IEP), Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC)
  • Transportation
  • Investigate respite options for you and your family
  • Seek assistance to promote disability awareness in various environments (making friends, being different)
  • Camps
  • Sibling needs
  • Supports for my child in a school setting
  • Van and home modifications